Div 2 Rd8: Castleconnor 0-9 v St.Pats 3-8

posted 3 Jun 2012, 09:55 by Bart Barrins
This match took place in Dromard on Saturday evening. A strong breeze blew through the Templeboy end and we played against it in the first half.

We got off to a good start with a Kevin Langan point from a free after Niall Judge was fouled. The home team responded with their own score. Langan scored again from a free in the sixth minute. In the 15th minute we lead 3 v 2 with all our scores coming from frees all fouls on Niall Judge. The home side equalised within a minute but from there to the injury time of the half we took control and scored three points on the trot, one from play by Kevin Langan and the others frees from Paul Kilcullen and Langan. Coming up to the halftime break we missed two close in frees and were then intercepted when breaking through on goal. This proved to be vital as from the resulting play Pats scored point and from the kickout they scored a goal to turn around a three point lead into a two point lead in injury time leaving the halftime score 1-4 v 0-6.

Playing with the wind in the second half we took our time to get into it with the home side invigorated by their play just before the break got the first point. In the 9th minute of the half they a high ball into our defence was broken by our defence into the path of a Pats forward who had the simple task of finishing to the net. This woke our lads up and we managed to narrow the lead to 3 points with points from Langan and Kilcullen again from frees. However the fightback was finished in the 49th minute when Pats broke quickly upfield and finished a low shot to the net. For the final ten minutes it was just a case of finishing the game for both teams.

Team: Anthony Kilcullen, Ronan Keane, David Fox, Tom Cawley, Kieran Naughton, David Carrabine, Keith Earlis, Patrick Naughton, Paul Kilcullen(0-2), Stephen Kilgallon, Kevin Langan(0-7), John McDonnell, Brian Curley, Brian Howley, Niall Judge. Subs: Eoin Flynn.