MFC A1 FINAL: Castleconnor 1-19 v Coolaney/Mullinabreena 1-9

posted 13 Oct 2013, 14:51 by Unknown user
A brillant TEAM performance where the whole panel played significant parts in these well deserved victory. Lessons from the semi-final win last week and the league semi defeat to the same opposition were taken and learned. The players and management deserve huge credit for it all coming right on the biggest day of these young lads lives.

Team before final

We got off to a good start with points from Stevie Curley, Matthew Cullen and lead 0-4 v 0-2 . At this point the Mullinabreena keeper had made three excellent saves from Cullen and Wright. We then got a fortuitous goal when a pass inside by Shane Wright evaded Cullen and the full back with the goalkeeper being unsighted it rolled into the net. The referee checked with his umpires who said there was a touch on the ball which meant the goal stood leaving us 1-4 v 0-2 up after 15 minutes. 

However the next 1o minutes saw us live by the skin of our teeth and when their centre forward drove to the corner of the net we then trailed 1-7 v 1-4 after 25 minutes. After the goal there was a 5 minute delay as Stephen Durkan and the goalscorer collided when shooting for goal. After the medics finished Mullinabreena lost their scorer with a dead leg and Durkan played on with a big swelling on his face. In the next attack captain Ciarán Doogie Kilcullen damaged his collarbone and had to be replaced at halftime. 

In the last 5 minutes of the half we woke up again and finished strong with points from Cullen, Curley, McDonnell after a good driving run from Jason Earlis and Wright to leave us in front coming up to the halftime whistle. In our last attack Matthew Cullen was scythed to the ground in the rectangle for a definite penalty. Stevie Curley stood up but drove it left and wide at the cemetery end with the half time whistle going directly after with the score at 1-8 v 1-7

Jersey presentation: Pj Judge (Judges Autos) and Mark Carr (Muddy Burns Bar and restaurant) present Bart Barrins and David Durkan (Bord na nÓg chair) for the county final

We scored from Stevie Curley straight after the throw in though this was quickly cancelled out by Mullinabreena. We got another score from Cullen after 35 minutes. Stephen Durkan made a great save at this time when facing an one on one. From the resultant 45, the two Conors, Gallagher and Judge managed to shepherd the attack wide. Their vigilance in the second half meant that they and the rest of the defence only conceeded two scores in the second half. Cian Barrins won a few kickouts at this point and Jack O'Hora drove forward but his lack of confidence in his left foot spurned a point scoring chance after a great run at the heart of the defence. We extended the lead with Seán Carrabine who replaced Kilcullen scoring and getting fouled for another free that was converted by Curley so that after 40 minutes we lead 1-11 v 1-9. 

At this time Eoin Kent was put on the most dangerous attacker for Mullinabreena and this proved decisive as he cut off the breaking balls and the ball going into the inside line. County minor, junior and senior player Kevin McDonnell took over at midfield at this time and provided a constant supply to the inside forward line who sprayed the ball around if not scoring. Shane Wright scored a great point after winning it back from two defenders, he then dummied to shot with the right instead popping it over with his left. From the kickout Kevin McDonnell fed Matt Cullen who played Keith Foody through and he opted to take the point to increase the lead to 5 with 8 minutes to go.

Kevin McDonnell then drove two points over with the outside of his left and right, one from the sideline which was like the final nail in the coffin of the Mullinabreena midfield. Liam Naughton came on after getting the cast off his broken arm on Wednesday and his passed off to Culen who beat three defenders and keeper but saw his lob come off the crossbar. James Flynn won the breaking ball 

When the final whistle blew we were A1 champions for 2013 and great scenes of emotion and joy were seen on the field and in the stands. Doogie Kilcullen then removed his tracksuit top to be presented with the cup by Coiste na nÓg chairman Brendan Leonard

Congrats to the team and management of Ollie Sexton, Jim Kent and PJ Judge for their work through the year. 

It has been a great few weeks for our Bord na nÓg with the U14/16/18 teams reaching their championship finals with U16/18 winning. Also on a day of days the club came out 1st and 2nd in the county lotto draw.

Thanks to the team sponsors Judges Autos and Muddy Burns Bar who presented a new set of jerseys to the team last week. 

A great team performance from all members of the squad made it a near perfect day in Markievicz Park on October 13 2013

Happy management team of Jim, PJ and Ollie

Team: Stephen Durkan, Conor Judge, Conor Gallagher, Cian Barrins, Eoin Kent, Jack O'Hora, Ciarán Kilcullen, Kevin McDonnell(0-5), Shane Wright(1-2), Jason Earlis, Keith Foody(0-1), Stevie Curley(0-6), Matthew Cullen(0-3). Subs: Seán Carrabine(0-2), James Flynn, Liam Naughton, Lewis Beardshall, James Boland