2007 Archive

Young Player of the Year

Niall Judge receives his award from Minor board Chariman Peter McHugh and club Chairman Declan Flynn

Ladies Player of the Year

Una Clarke recieves her award from Ladies county board chairman Ted Maloney and Club Chariman Declan Flynn

Senior Player of the Year

Patrick McGuinness receives his award from Peter McHugh and Declan Flynn

Clubman of the Year

Gerry Curley receives his award from Club Chairman Declan Flynn

Hall of Fame award

Madeline Tuffy accepts the Hall of fame award on behalf of her late husband Pat from club chairman Declan Flynn. Also in the picture are back l to r: Tom and Fidelma Tuffy, Jennifer Tuffy. Front Lorraine and Michelle Tuffy

Award winners and presentaions group photo

Back l to r: Tom Tuffy (Treasurer), Patrick Naughton (member of Sligo county team) Ted Maloney, Madeline Tuffy, Declan Flynn, Peter McHugh, Gerry Curley, Anthony Reape (secretary)

Front l to r: Niall Judge, Una Clarke, Patrick McGuinness, Barry Judge

Club AGM November 19, 2007

The club agm took place just before the Christmas break where the executive committee thanked all those who helped organise and train teams, those who fundraised and organised sponsorship, and all members, players and managers for their efforts throughout the year. The following were elected to positions in front of a good attendance;

President, Mick Gillard;

Patron, Fr. Des Kelly;

Chairman, Declan Flynn;

Secretary, Anthony Reape;

Treasurer, Thomas Tuffy; Asst. Treasurer, Michael Gillard;

PRO, Bart Barrins and Barry Judge;

Irish Officer, Ciarán Ó Bairéid,

Coaching officer, Paul Kilcullen;

Co. Board officer, Bart Barrins

Margaret Wright RIP

On Wednesday evening October 31, the parish and club members was shocked and horrified to hear of the tragic death of Margaret Wright, Ballymoghenry in a car accident. Margaret was a great supporter of the club and along with husband Michael attended all games and events that young Shane was involved in.

This year Shane played a leading role in the club winning their first ever U12 A championship and then had the personal honour which made the club along with Margaret and Michael so proud of winning the Individual skills competition.

To the Wright family, all their families and friends we extend our deepest sympathies

Ar dheis De go raibh a anam.

U16 League FINAL replay: Castleconnor 3-6 v Mullinabreena 3-8, Oct 21, 2007

The Bord na nÓg season drew to a close on Saturday last when our under 16 team were defeated in the under 16 C league final replay by Coolaney/Mullinabreena. In a very even and exciting game we went down by 2 points on a score of 3-8 to 3-6.We trailed by 5 points at the break and nearly snatched victory in the last minute but it was not to be.

Even though we had some glorious opportunities.

Hard luck to the team who a few weeks earlier won the championship against the same opposition. Well done to squad and management team of Tony Carrabine, Gerry Curley and Paul Kilcullen who took the C Championship title back to the parish this year and put in a great effort thoughout the year.

Reserve Champ FINAL: Castleconnor 0-17 v St.Marys 1-7, Oct 2 2007

With both teams fairly depleted this end of season game actually turned out to be an interesting game. Both teams traded points early on but Castleconnor began to take control around the centre of the field. The speed of the reds frward line was starting to cause problems for the town defence.

However after missing two excellent goal chances Marys broke upfield and scored a goal they barely deserved. Our lads came back well with points from Kevin Langan and Niall Judge to trail by a point at halftime on a scoreline of 1-5 v 0-7.

Our midfield dominance continued in the second half and with Niall Judge going on a scoring spree in the second half we began to pull away and with 10 minutes to go there was only going to be one winner.

David Carrabine scored his first senior point and Spider Barrett even managed an outside of the right effort (though we will not mention his second effort!!!)

Paul Kilcullen received the trophy from Cyril Feehily and thanked Marys for a good game. He also thanked management for their efforts over the last number of years

Team and scorers: C.Gordon, P.McGuinnes, D.Fox, K.Barrett(0-1), K.Naughton, R.Healy, B.Howley, M.Langan(0-1), P.Naughton(0-1), F.Barrett, K.Langan(0-6), K.Tuffy, T.Cawley, P.Kilcullen(0-2), N.Judge(0-6), Sub: D.Carrabine(0-1)

Ladies JFC FINAL: Castleconnor 2-4 v Curry 1-2

It was heartbreak yet again for our Junior ladies team as they were defeated by Curry in the Sligo Ladies Junior Championship Final played in Cloonacool on Sunday last.

We were creating all the first half chances and had a fine 2-3 to 0-4 lead at the interval.

But, we failed to do the same in the second period and Curry outclassed us from there on in and in the end we were defeated on a score of 2-4 to 1-12, unfortunately we failed to bring home the Junior championship crown.

Hard luck girls and to their management team of Declan Flynn, Jennifer Tuffy and Aisling McDonagh and we will be looking forward to see the girls giving it another shot next year. Thank you to the management team for their time and effort and to the girls also.

U16 League FINAL: Castleconnor 2-5 v Mullinabreena 1-8 Oct 2 2--7

After defeating Coolaney/Mullinabreena in the C Championship Final last week by four points, the under 16 team encountered the South Sligo side again on Sunday at 1pm in Curry with the league final up for grabs, and they will have to do it all over again presumably next week as the spoils were shared in a thriller and one not for the faint hearted especially in the second period.

Castleconnor dominated the first period scoring 1-5 to Coolaney/Mullinabreena’s 0-2.

The second half however saw a very poor display from us and Coolaney/ Mullinabreena played the better football by far and with the score at 1-5 to 1-8 now in favour of the South Sligo outfit, an injury time goal from us meant it was all square at the final whistle.

Final Score Castleconnor 2-5 to 1-8.

Anthony Kilcullen, Stephen Kilgannon, Orrie Ruane, Kevin Maye, Diarmuid Howley, Ronan Keane, David Carrabine(1-2), Barry Judge(1-1), Paul Sweeney(0-2), John McDonnell, Brian Curley.

Subs Used: John McGuinness, Keith Earlis, Martin Foody.

At time of print no details of replay.

U16 Champ FINAL: Castleconnor 2-8 v Mullinabreena 2-4 Sept 26, 2007

The two sides met in round 1 of the C league back in April when Coolaney/Mullinabreena finished with 4 points to spare over Castleconnor. On Saturday, the margin was repeated except this time Castleconnor came out on top.

Castleconnor started off strong scoring 1-2 without reply. The two points courtesy of Paul Sweeney and the goal came from a penalty when Stephen Kilgannon passed the ball up to Sweeney who laid it off to Barry Judge who was taken down after a surging run and David Carrabine, the captain cooly dispatched the resultant spot kick.

The South Sligo side had a good 10 minute spell resulting in a goal and fortunately for Castleconnor a lot of costly missed chances.

Castleconnor keeper Anthony Kilcullen, was solid between the sticks Martin Foody setup Judge who laid it off to Sweeney for another score and a free before the break from Brian Curley saw Castleconnor lead when heading for the dressing rooms at the interval. (1-4 to 1-0)

Castleconnor faced a tough task in the second half as they played against a very strong breeze. Castleconnor applied all the pressure and carried the ball against the wind for the first fifteen minutes of the second period and this hard work from Brian Curley and his forwards helped quell the still lively South Sligo side. Castleconnors John McDonnell got another goal after great work from the half back line of Diarmuid Howley and Kevin Maye.

Curley added another free to his tally. McDonnell had the ball again out at the corner flag, he worked it in laid it off to Judge who linked up well with Sweeney again, resulting in Sweeneys 4th of the day.

The hard working Ronan Keane along with Carrabine ruled the roost at the middle of the park for most of the game while Stephen Kilgannon excelled at full back.

The score was 2-6 to 1-0 but the blue and whites got and additional 4 points and after Keane got his marching orders in the 50th minute for a second bookable offence they replied with a goal. Castleconnor however had all looked after and John McDonnell sealed the victory with Castleconnors last two points of the game.

Minor Board Chairman Timmy McGrath presented the Cup to David Carrabine, Castleconnor Captain after the game.

These two sides will battle it out next weekend for the C league final which promises an intriguing and an encounter not to be missed. See fixtures for more.

Castleconnor: Anthony Kilcullen, Martin Foody, Ronan Keane, Kevin Maye, Diarmuid Howley, David Carrabine, Stephen Kilgannon, Barry Judge, Paul Sweeney, John McDonnell, Brian Curley.

Sub Used: John McGuinness for Martin Foody.

SFC Reserve Championship Rd2: Castleconnor 0-11 v Ballymote 0-10, Sept 8 2007

In the second round of the SFC relegation playoffs Castleconnor travelled to Curry to play Ballymote. Both teams had won their first games in the group and so both knew a win would guarantee their senior championship status for 2008. Due to this the exchanges were keen and tough throughout in a very exciting game but played always played in a sporting manner. Castleconnor got off to an early lead when Karl Tuffy scored from play and Kevin Langan from a free. Ballymote stormed back to score 4 points without reply but another Tuffy, Rory Healy and Patrick Naughton point saw us lead by 0-5 v 0-4.

The first 3 minutes saw Kevin Langan score 3 points, 1 from play and the other 2 from frees after he had been fouled. Ballymote responded and scored 4 points to level the scores entering the final 10 minutes. We twice went into the lead only to be pegged back to level the scores at 10 apiece. Going into the last minute of normal time Karl Tuffy was fouled about 55 metres out from goal and Michael Langan stepped forward to score a monstrous point. Despite a frenzied final 3 minutes of injury time we held out for a priceless victory on a score of 0-11 v 0-10 with Jason Cawley, Karl Tuffy, Frankie Kelly, David Fox, Kevin Langan, Paul Hackett and Rory Healy impressing. All members of the team have shown a great appetite and willingness to put their bodies on the line for the parish and their team mates and these two victories were very well merited. The team have a final group game next Saturday September 16th against Shamrock Gaels.

Team: C.Gordon, J.Tuffy, J.Cawley, P.Hackett, R.Healy(0-1), D.Fox, B.Howley, M.Langan(0-1), P.Naughton(0-1), K.Tuffy(0-2), F.Kelly, P.McGuinness, K.Langan(0-5), P.Kilcullen, T.Cawley. Subs. N.Judge(0-1)

U10 Semi-final and FINAL report, Sept 8 2007

The under 10 team played St. Pats in the semi final of the west division on Wednesday evening last at 7pm in Easkey. A brilliant win for the youngsters meant they would contest the A final-for the John Reilly Shield and that St. Pats went through to the B final.

Although Castleconnor trailed early in the game as St. Pats got 2 early goals they worked so hard and it all paid off in the end.

All players played to their full potential and deserved the win on a score of 2-12 to 2-4.

Team: Kevin Howley, Oran Quinn, Aoife Quinn(1-0), James Boland, Brendan Foody, Enda Kilcullen, Mari Ann Foody, Jack O’Hora, Cian Barrins(1-1), Luke Munnelly(0-1), Sinead Naughton(0-1), Paul Flynn, Stephen Durcan, Sean Carrabine(0-8), Amy Fox(0-1).

Then on Sunday the under 10 West divisional finals took place in Quigabar. Castleconnors game was late to start as the previous game had extra time. We met our rivals St. Farnans in the final for the John Reilly Shield. Again everyone played to their best and even harder. We had our own good patches of football but with this hard work we still failed to score on occasions. In the end we were beaten by a stronger side on a score of 2-5 to 0-3 and unfortunately the shield wasn’t coming back to us again this year.

Team: Kevin Howley, Oran Quinn, Lewis Beardshall (0-1), Enda Kilcullen, Brendan Foody, Jack O’Hora, Mari Ann Foody, Aoife Quinn, Sean Carrabine(0-1), Luke Munnelly, Cian Barrins(0-1), Paul Flynn, Stephen Durcan, Sinead Naughton, Amy Fox.

The subs for the semi final and final were Kenneth Flynn, Elliot Beardshall, Aoife Durcan, Alice Gillard, Claire Flynn, Mary Foody and Danny O’Hora.

This years football for these youngsters now finishes up and a big thank you must go to their management team of Paddy Barrins, Kieran O’Hora and Tom Foody for their time and effort put into this panel.

Also thanks to the children who always came out in great numbers for training sessions and matches and to their parents for transporting them to and from.

SFC Reserve Championship Rd1: Castleconnor 2-7 v Coolera 1-6, Sept 4, 2007

Castleconnor played Coolera/Strandhill in the first round of the championship relegation playoffs on Sunday in Markievicz Park on Sunday. At half time we trailed by a point despite having most of the possession and scoring a great goal through Paul Kilcullen. Early in the second half we got a fortuitous goal to regain the lead which we held onto till the end to win on a scoreline of 2-7 v 1-6. This was a very good performance from all the team who put their bodies on the line when required.

Next weekend we play Ballymote in the second round in Curry at 12.

Team: C.Gordon, P.Hackett, J.Cawley, J.Tuffy, B.Howley, D.Fox, R.Healy, P.Naughton, M.Langan, K.Tuffy, F.Kelly, P.McGuinness, K.Langan, P.Kilcullen, T.Cawley, Subs. N.Judge

U10 - Match reports from rounds 9 and 10, Sept 4, 2007

The under 10 team played Enniscrone in the west divisional championship round 9 in Quigabar last week.This was a great sporting game and Castleconnor came out the better on a score of the narrowest of margins 2-3 to 0-7.

Team: Amy Fox, Oran Quinn, Aoife Quinn, Enda Kilcullen, Brendan Foody, Lewis Beardshall, Mari Ann Foody, Sean Carrabine, Jack O’Hora, Luke Munnelly(0-1), Sinead Naughton(1-0), Stephen Durcan, Elliot Beardshall, Cian Barrins(0-2), Paul Flynn(1-0). The subs were James Boland, Kenneth Flynn, Danny O’ Hora, Alice Gillard, Mary Foody, Aoife Durcan.

Then on Wednesday evening last St. Farnans were the visitors in round 10, the final round of this competition. A stronger outfit beat us on the day.

Team: Kevin Howley, Oran Quinn, Aoife Quinn, Enda Kilcullen, Brendan Foody, Lewis Beardshall, Mari Ann Foody, Sean Carrabine, Cian Barrins, Luke Munnelly, Sinead Naughton, Stephen Durcan, Elliot Beardshall, Amy Fox, Paul Flynn. The subs were Kenneth Flynn, James Boland, Alice Gillard, Aoife Durcan, Mary Foody, Celine Gallagher.

Castleconnor play St. Pats this Wednesday evening to decide who plays St. Farnans in the final for the Reilly Trophy. Throw in is at 7pm in Easkey.

The west divisional u-10 finals take place on Sunday next 9th September in Enniscrone starting at 11.30am. all clubs within the division will play on final day and all are asked to come along for a great day of football.

U16: Castleconnor 3-17 v Owenmore Gaels 0-6, Sept 3 2007

The under 16 team played Owenmore Gaels in the C Championship semi final on Friday evening last in Corballa. We were the far better side with a 10 points to 4 advantage at the break and finished strongly on a score of 3-17 to 0-6.

Team: Anthony Kilcullen, Orrie Ruane, Ronan Keane, Kevin Maye, Martin Foody, David Carrabine, Stephen Kilgannon, Diarmuid Howley, Paul Sweeney, Barry Judge, John McDonnell. Subs: Shane feeney, John McGuinness, Brian Curley, Keith Earlis, Ronan Barrett.

The team now have the tough task of playing Coolaney/Mullinabreena in the Championship and League Final. No set date as yet.

SFC Rd 3: Castleconnor 0-5 v St.Marys 5-10, Aug 27 2007

Castleconnor met St.Marys in the last round of the senior championship in Quigabar on Saturday evening. This was a dead rubber of a game as both team were already in the relegation playoffs. At halftime the score was 1-8 v 0-3 to Marys but a strong second half from the town team saw them roar to a massive 5-10 v 0-5 win.

This was Castleconnor’s worse defeat ever in the senior championship and does not bode well for the playoffs, which start next weekend with a game against Coolera/Strandhill.

Team:B.Barrins, B.Howley, J.Cawley, B.Foody, R.Healy, P.Naughton, F.Barrett, K.Tuffy, M.Langan, F.Kelly, K.Langan, P.McGuinness, T.Cawley, N.Judge, P.Kilcullen, Sub: K.Naughton

Minor: Castleconnor 3-18 v Mullinabreena 1-3, Aug 25 2007

The minor team travelled to Nace O’Dowd Park in Achonry on Monday last August 20th to play Coolaney/Mullinabreena in the Minor C Championship round 2 of the group stages. Despite been defeated in the opening round the team redeemed themselves with a fine victory on a final scoreline of 3-13 to 1-3.

At half time Castleconnor led by 5 points (0-8 to 0-3). This could have had been different as Coolaney/Mullinabreena had two great goal opportunities in the first half, one a penalty but they were both kept out by the determined goalkeeper.

Coolaney/Mullinabreena opened the scoring in the second half with a goal but this was to be their last score of the game. It was all Castleconnor from here on and they finished strongly.

Team: Diarmuid Howley, Alan Naughton, Kevin Maye, Ronan Keane(0-1), Edward Naughton, Brian Foody(0-1), Niall Judge(1-9), Brian Howley(1-0), David Kelly, Stephen Kilgannon(1-2), Orrie Ruane. Subs Used: Barry Judge, John McGuinness.

U16 Champ: Reports from matches v Buninnadden and St.Pats, Aug 24 2007

The under 16 team travelled to Bunninaddan to play the home side in the 2nd round of the C Championship group 2 on Friday evening. This year there are two groups in the competition with 3 teams in each group. The top 2 of each group will go through to the semi finals.

This game was all one sided and the opposition never looked like threatening the fine lead we always had through the game. Final Score: Castleconnor 6-1- Bunninaddan 1-3.

Team: Anthony Kilcullen, Diarmuid Howley(1-1), Ronan Keane(1-0), Kevin Maye, Martin Foody, David Carrabine(0-5), Stephen Kilgannon(0-2), Paul Sweeney(0-1), Barry Judge(0-3), Brian Curley(1-4), John McDonnell(2-0),

Subs Used: Shane Feeney(1-1), John McGuinness, Alan Donegan, Keith Earlis and Darragh Gilmartin.

Then on Wednesday evening the 15th St. Pats travelled to Corballa to play us in the rearranged round 1. This encounter saw little scoring as a very windy and blustery evening prevented both teams from playing good football. However Castleconnor edged out winners on a narrow score of 1-1 to 0-5.

The team have now topped their championship group and will now play the semi final of the competition presumably on Friday next.

U10: Match reports from rounds 6 and 7, Aug 22 2007

The under 10 team were away on Tuesday evening August 7th last in the under 10 west divisional championship round 6 to Easkey. Despite been unlucky the last time these two sides met in round 1 the youngsters played their hearts out to run out winners on a score that read 3-4 to 2-2.

Team: K. Howley, B. Foody, A. Quinn, E. Kilcullen, O. Quinn, L. Beardshall, M. Foody, J. O’Hora(1-0), S. Carrabine(0-3), S. Durcan, S. Naughton(2-1), P. Flynn, J. Boland, L. Munnelly, A. Fox.

The subs were: K. Flynn, A. Durcan, C. Flynn, D. O’Hora, J. Hallinan, M. Foody.

Then on Tuesday 14th August St. Pats travelled to Corballa. In this game the spoils were shared on a score of 0-4 each.

Team: Kevin Howley, Brendan Foody, Aoife Quinn, Enda Kilcullen, Oran Quinn, Lewis Beardshall, Mari Ann Foody, Sean Carrabine(0-1), Jack O’ Hora, Stephen Durcan, Luke Munnelly(0-1), Paul Flynn, James Boland, Sinead Naughton, Amy Fox.

Subs: Cian Barrins(0-2), Elliot Beardshall, Danny O’ Hora, Kenneth Flynn, Aoife Durcan, Mary Foody, Alice Gillard, Claire Flynn.

Their next game is against Enniscrone away on Friday 24th August @ 7pm.

SFC Rd 2: Castleconnor 0-3 v Eastern Harps 1-10 Aug 20 2007

Castleconnor limped out of this years senior championship with one round left to play

Div 1A: Castleconnor 2-2 v Tourlestrane 3-10, Aug 15, 2007

Castleconnor travelled to Aclare on Sunday morning for the last game of the league. This was a make or break game and despite the scoreline was close until the last 10 minutes. At half time the scores were level. Tourlestrane went 6 points up early in the second half but were then pegged back to 3 points but that was the last red and white score and so the team are now relegated to Division 1 B for the league in 2008

U12A Champ: Match reports from semi-final and FINAL, CHAMPIONS, July 30 2007

The under 12 team travelled to Markievicz Park on Friday evening last to take on Tubbercurry in the A semi final. Although the sides were close at the interval, Castleconnor started and finished the second period strongly to finish on a score that read 2-15 to 1-6.

On Saturday morning the final of this competition was played where Castleconnor took on Ballisadare at the same venue. Ballisadare were red hot favourites as they had beaten us earlier in the year by a large scoring margin.

But since then, this team and management of Michael Langan and Barnes Kelly worked and trained so hard and yet it all paid off when these lads fought till the final whistle in this intriguing and high scoring encounter to win on a close scoreline of 2-9 to 3-8. Well done to the team and management on bringing this A title back to the club. The future certainly looks good and it has been the second title of the week!

After the game Castleconnor were presented with a brand new cup, as So, two cups were on the way back to Castleconnor. After, the team paraded around the parish and then went back to Muddy Burns for refreshments.

Well done again to all involved with this historic achievement in winning our first ever U12 A championship.

Under 12 panel & scorers in the final and throughout the year:

Arthur Beardshall, Jason Earlis, Liam Naughton, Damien Barrett, Conor Gallagher, Shane Wright(0-2), Kevin McDonnell(0-3), Stephen Curley(0-3), James Flynn, Eoin Kent, Conor Judge, Matthew Cullen(3-0), David McGinty, Jerome Lavelle, Cian Barrins, Keith Foody, Kieran Kilcullen.

Minor League FINAL: Castleconnor 2-10 v Ballymote 3-6, July28 2007

The 2007 minor team can be remembered for the clubs first title of the year, but also the first minor title in many years. This long awaited encounter took place on Monday evening 23rd July @ 7.30pm in Easkey Gaa Park, with Ballymote the opposition in the C league County Final. Earlier in the season Ballymote travelled to Corballa where they had a convincing win over us.

Rather than adopting spoiling strategies and other such devices to hinder the attacking flare of the opposition, both sides commendably returned to the old fashioned and proven characteristics of the game, and the large attendance were most appreciative of the entertainment, tension and the excitement that was served up.

A fine evening with a breeze which slightly favoured Castleconnor in the second period saw a game only to be described as a ‘thrill-a-minute-epic’. Ballymote started off the better when they popped the games first two scores over-2 points. Castleconnor replied with 3 points in quick succession, but a slip up in the Castleconnor rear-guard saw Ballymote blast the ball to the back of the net.(1-2 to 0-3). It wasn’t long before the Castleconnor men got 2 points to leave proceedings all square at the interval(1-2 to 0-5).

Ballymote got the first score after the interval- a point from the throw-in. Castleconnor, however went 2 ahead when they got their first goal of the game. From here on in the game was nip and tuck and after that Castleconnor went 3 ahead. The game was levelled yet again when Ballymote broke through for their second goal, and Castleconnor replied with a few points as did Ballymote. With the game all square again at 2-9 to 3-6, it took Castleconnor some time to find the point to go ahead however it did come after many chances were sent wide.

In the final moments the defence held out strong and we held possession, although Castleconnor could have won the game by more, a win by a point on a scoreline of 2-10 to 3-6 was a fitting reward for the team and management.

Well done to the management of John Judge, Kevin Finan and Kevin Foody

Div 1A: Castleconnor 1-10 v St.Marys 0-5, July 27 2007

Castleconnor hosted St.Marys in the penultimate round of the senior league. This was a game that we had to win to give ourselves a chance to retain our 1A status. The first half was a cagey affair with our team holding a one point advantage at the break. Castleconnor let loose in the second half with the St.Marys goal leading a charmed life we piled on the points and scored near the end a great goal by Tom Cawley.

We have to play Tourlestrane in our final game and will require a win. When the team lost the fear of losing in the second half we played some very attractive football to win on a scoreline of Castleconnor 1-10 v St.Marys 0-5.

Team and scorers: C.Gordon, B.Howley, J.Cawley, J.Tuffy, T.Cawley(1-0), N.Fox, R.Healy, K.Tuffy(0-1), M.Langan, B.Foody, P.McGuinness(0-3), K.Langan(0-3), N.Judge(0-2), F.Kelly, S.Skellick(0-1).Subs: D.Carrabine

U10: Castleconnor 6-3 v Enniscrone 0-2, July 27 2007

The under 10 team again were in action against neighbours Enniscrone in the West Divisional Championship on Tuesday last and they ran out well deserved winners on a score that read 6-3 to 0-2.

Team: Kevin Howley, Brendan Foody, Aoife Quinn, Enda Kilcullen, Oran Quinn, Lewis Beardshall, Mari Ann Foody, Jack O’Hora(1-0), Sean Carrabine(2-2), Stephen Durcan, Sinead Naughton(2-0), Kenneth Flynn, Danny O’Hora, Elliot Beardshall(0-1), Aoife Durcan.

Subs Used: Alice Gillard, Amy Fox(1-0).

Their next fixture is against Easkey away on the 7th August.

U10: Report from first round of West Div games v St.Pats and St.Farnans, July 25

Castleconnor 1-2 v St.Pats 2-2

The under 10 team travelled to Skreen to play St. Pats in the under 10 west divisional championship. The usual wet weather was about but the match was a very close and intriguing encounter and in the end St. Pats emerged winners on the narrowest of margins. Final score 2-2 to 1-2.

Team: Amy Fox, James Boland, Aoife Quinn, Enda Kilcullen, Oran Quinn, Jack O’Hora, Mari Ann Fooday, Cian Barrins(1-1), Lewis Beardshall(0-1), Brendan Foody, Sinead Naughton, Paul Flynn, Stephen Durcan, Sean Carrabine, Ciaran Rogan.

The subs were Danny O’Hora, Kenneth Flynn, Christopher Lavelle, Aoife Durcan, Claire Flynn and Elliot Beardshall.

Castleconnor v St.Farnans

On Friday evening 20th July the under 10 team were in action again. The under 10 team travelled to Templeboy to play St. Farnans in the under 10 west divisional championship. Castleconnor gave it their best shot and but were unfortunate to lose to a stronger St. Farnans side. Team: Kevin Howley, Brendan Foody, Aoife Quinn, Enda Kilcullen, Oran Quinn, Jack O’Hora, Mari Ann Foody, Cian Barrins, Sean Carrabine, Stephen Durcan, Sinead Naughton, Kenneth Flynn, Christopher Lavelle, Amy Fox, Danny O’Hora.

Subs Used: Lewis Beardshall, Elliot Beardshall, Aoife Durcan, Alice Gillard.

The team play Enniscrone in the next round on Tuesday evening at 7pm.

U12A quarter-final: Castleconnor 3-8 v Coolera 3-2, July 24 2007

The under 12 team hosted last year’s county final rivals Coolera/Strandhill, in the section A quarter final. The new format at under 12 sees all members of the panel getting a chance to perform and each game is played in 4 x 10 minute quarters. A fantastic performance saw our youngsters into the cup semi finals as they won on a score of 3-8 to 3-2. Wet and greasy conditions made for good football and Castleconnor led for most if not all of the game. In the final closing stages the score was 3-8 to 0-2 but Coolera found their range getting three consolation goals.

Under 12 panel: Arthur Beardshall, Jason Earlis, Liam Naughton, Damien Barrett, Conor Gallagher, Shane Wright, Kevin McDonnell, Stephen Curley, James Flynn, Eoin Kent, Conor Judge, Matthew Cullen, David McGinty, Jerome Lavelle, Cian Barrins, Keith Foody and Kieran Kilcullen.

On Saturday morning the under 12 team travelled to Easkey to play in a tournament for the Easkey Festival. Well done to the team on winning the tournament.

U14: Castleconnor 0-6 v Mullinabreena 3-2, July 24 2007

The under 14 teams had a Championship semi final clash with Coolaney/Mullinabreena which was held in St. Farnans. Unfortunately it wasn’t their day and they lost on a score that read 3-2 to 0-6. This sees the under 14 season for Castleconnor draw to an end. Well done to the team on reaching the league final and championship semi-final but were unfortunate to lose out to a stronger outfit.

Team: Brian Feeney, Keith Earlis, Keith Jacob, Kevin McDonnell, Anthony Kilcullen, John McDonnell, Martin Foody, Matthew Cullen, Shane Wright, Eoin Flynn, Stephen Curley.

The teams training began in the dark nights of wind and rain at the beginning of the year and great effort was put into this team by Michael McDonnell and Frank Barrett.

Minor League semi-final: Castleconnor 3-15 v Easkey 0-2, July 23 2007

This week we played Easkey in Easkey in the league semi final. A great performance by the team sees them into the league final.

Team & Scorers: Diarmuid Howley, Alan Naughton, Kevin Maye, Ronan Keane(0-1), Edward Naughton, Brian Foody(0-2), David Carrabine(0-1), Brian Howley(1-2), Stephen Kilgannon(2-1), Brian Curley(0-2), Niall Judge(0-5).Subs Used: Orrie Ruane, David Kelly(0-1)

Div 1A: Castleconnor 0-9 v Eastern Harps 0-15

The senior team hosted Easterne Harps in the 12th round of the division 1A league. Despite being level at the break and taking an early lead in the second half the visitors took the point with a strong burst in the second half to win by 0-15 v 0-9. Next weekend we play St. Marys in Corballa in the penultimate game of the league. We must win this game to try and retain our 1A status.

Team: C.Gordon, J.Tuffy, J.Cawley, P.Hackett, R.Healy, B.Howley, D.Fox, N.Fox, M.Langan, B.Foody, K.Langan, T.Cawley, N.Judge, F.Kelly, Subs: B.Barrins

SFC Rd 1: Castleconnor 0-6 v St.Johns 0-15, July 16 2007

St.Johns powered to a facile victory in Enniscrone on Saturday evening in this first round game of the Senior championship. They lead from the seventh minute and never looked in danger after that. They had good performances all around the park with Shane Stenson and Cian McNamara causing trouble throughout with good assistance from Fergal Kelly, Brian McCaffrey and Niall Collins. For Castleconnor all the effort was from the defence with Michael Langan, Jason Cawley, Rory Healy and David Fox doing their best.

From the throw-in Cian McNamara was through on goal but blasted wide. In the fifth minute Kevin Langan converted a free after his brother Michael was fouled. A minute later John Scanlon was put through one on one with Colin Gordon but his chip was wide of the post.

St. Johns started to get a grip around the middle in the park and were putting the Castleconnor under incessant pressure. The lack of movement in the Castleconnor forward line only added to the problems. This was emphasised by the fact that St. Johns scored five points on the trot. John Scanlon with four points, two from frees, two from play, one of them a majestic effort from way out on the sideline while on the run. Shane Stenson scored a long range point which was cancelled out by a Patrick Naughton point direct from the kickout. In the two minutes of injury time St. Johns extended their lead with two points from play by Cian McNamara and Fergal Kelly, to lead at half time on a scoreline of 0-7 v 0-2.

Straight from the throw in for the second half, Fergal Kelly scored a point after a good catch from a long range ball into the full forward. A minute later Johns should have had goaled but Cian MacNamra’s shot went over the crossbar. Castleconnor made a number of changes and seemed to decide to start taking chances. Norman Fox came into full forward and right away started to cause some discomfort for the Johns defence. In the fifth minute of the half he was fouled and Paul Kilcullen put over the free. Brian McCaffrey put over a point on the run after a pass from Stenson who scored himself from play twice in the next five minutes during which time Castleconnor hit three bad wides. Patrick McGuinness and Rory Healy scored from play for the reds but with ten minutes left there was seven points between the teams.

Castleconnor tried hard but in the end the game petered out to his inevitable finish.

Team and scorers, St. Johns: Philip Greene, David Geraghty, Sean Geraghty, Patrick Greene, Colin Harte, Niall Walsh, David Rooney(0-1), Brian McCaffrey(0-1), M.McNamara, Shane Stenson(0-2), Cian McNamara(0-2), Charlie Harrison, John Scanlon(0-5), Fergal Kelly(0-2), Paul McDonald(0-1)

Castleconnor: Colin Gordon, Paul Hackett, Jason Cawley, John Tuffy, Michael Langan, Patrick Naughton, David Fox, Paul Kilcullen(0-1), Karl Tuffy, Tom Cawley, Patrick McGuinness(0-1), Frankie Kelly, Stephen Skellick, Kevin Langan(0-1), Rory Healy (0-2). Subs, Norman Fox, Niall Judge, Brendan Howley, Brian Foody

U14C League FINAL: Castleconnor 2-1 v Mullinabreena 2-3, July 15 2007

The under 14 team travelled to Kilcoyne Park, Tubbercurry to play the C league final on Monday July 2nd. Our opponents were Coolaney/Mullinabreena. Greasy playing conditions made for some exciting football at times and the teams were all square at the interval both putting 1-1 on the scoreboard. Castleconnor goaled in the second period to take the lead but Coolaney/Mullinabreena fought back to win on a score that read 2-3 to 2-1.

Team on duty: Brian Feeney, Keith Earlis, Ronan Barrett, Anthony Kilcullen, Kevin McDonnell, John McDonnell, Martin Foody, Matthew Cullen, Shane Wright, Stephen Curley, Keith Jacob.

The team will play Coolaney/Mullinabreena or Easkey in the Championship semi final at home on Friday evening 20th July at 7.30pm so all come out and support them!

Report from Peilé na nÓg in Leitrim where the club partook, July 2 2007

The under 14 team and mentors departed the community centre @ 12.30pm on Friday to travel to Roscommon for the feile competition. The team were hosted by Kilglass Gaels Gaa club of Roscommon where everyone had a weekend never to be forgotten. We arrived at about 2 o clock and there we were welcomed by the mentors and parents of Kilglass.

Castleconnors first game was against the hosts, Kilglass. This was a one sided game which saw us win well on a score of 1-15 to 1-2. that was the football finished for Friday. After, the team were given a talk about the schedule for the coming weekend and then we headed for the Shanaghy West Hotel for some food. Before that they met the people they were staying with for the weekend. Then the parade took place in Carrick on Shannon and Castleconnor marched the streets of Carrick town and even a clip of them was shown on the 6.1 news and sport on RTE. An early start on Saturday morning meant the players had to meet at Dromod pitch, Leitrim @ 8.30am. here two games were on the cards and the skills competition.

The throw in for the first game was 9.30am where we faced Bornacoola of Leitrim. Again Castleconnor played an excellent winning again on a score line of 4-06 to 0-3.

Later on the skills competition was held where John McDonnell represented us. He was unlucky to qualify.

After a long day everyone was tired but we had to face Eire Og of Roscommon in our final game of the day.

Eire Og were the better team but unfortunately we came out the opposite end this time on a score that read 3-9 to 0-2.

That evening the team along with Kilglass travelled to Longford for bowling and more refreshments and everyone thoroughly enjoyed themselves as the weekend drew to a close. The next Morning, Sunday the both teams went to mass in the parish Church.

Then it was time to leave and to say goodbye after a brilliant weekend.

The club would like to sincerely thank Kilglass Gaels GAA Club for their warm welcome and hospitality and friendliness towards us and the team and also for hosting us. It took numerous weeks for the people of Kilglass to organise this and this showed. Here, friends were made for life.

Also to the parents of the children who made the journey up to support Castleconnor and for giving a helping hand.

Everyones support is greatly appreciated and this weekend was a successful one and also rememorable.

U14:Castleconnor 2-4 v St.Michaels 0-5, July 1 2007

The team hosted St. Michaels in the group 3 League Semi-Final on Tuesday June 26th. A breezy evening saw an intriguing encounter with Castleconnor leading at the interval by the narrowest of margins(1-1 to 0-3). Castleconnors first half goal came from a rebounded after a penalty hit the crossbar. The second half was the very same as the first, very exciting football and Castleconnor managed to pull away in the end, getting a goal with the last kick of the game to win on a score Castleconnor 2-04 v St.Michael’s 0-5.

Team & Scorers: Brian Feeney, Keith Earlis, Ronan Barrett, Anthony Kilcullen, Kevin McDonnell, John McDonnell(1-0), Martin Foody, Keith Jacob, Matthew Cullen, Eoin Flynn, Stephen Curley(0-2). Subs Used: Jason Earlis(1-1), Shane Wright(0-1).

The final of this will be played on Tuesday 3rd July in Kilcoyne Park, Tubbercurry @ 7pm. Best of luck lads. Please support.

U12: Castleconnor 4-14 v St.Pats 1-5, June 30 2007

The under 12 team travelled to Skreen to play St.Pats in the Under 12 League section A on Monday June 21st. This was a rescheduled fixture from round 1.

Castleconnor were the stronger team however St.Pats played good patches of football also. We finished victors on a score that read 4-14 to 1-5. Panel and Scorers: Arthur Beardshall, Liam Naughton, Jason Earlis(0-2), Damien Barrett, Keith Foody, Connor Gallagher, Eoin Kent, Kevin McDonnell(0-3), Shane Wright(1-2), Connor Judge, Stephen Curley(0-3), Kieran Kilcullen(1-0), Matthew Cullen(1-5), Cian Barrins(1-0), David McGinty, James Flynn, Jerome Lavelle, Jason Mulderrig.

Div 1A: Castleconnor 1-7 v Curry 1-11, June 30 2007

Castleconnor travelled to Curry on Sunday morning for round 11 of the senior league. With a weakened team we came out the wrong side of a scoreline of 1-11 v 1-7. With results going against us in other games we must now win at least 2 of our remaining 3 games in the league to avoid relegation to 1B and even that may not be enough

Player of the match: Michael Langan

Div 1A: Castleconnor 3-10 v Ballymote 0-12, June 25, 2007

Castleconnor travelled to Ballymote on Saturday evening for the 10th round of the division 1A league. Castleconnor got off to a bright start going into an early lead with points from Kevin Langan. Ballymote came back into it towards the end of the half but Castleconnor were denied two clearcut goal chances by the Ballymote keeper.

At the halftime whistle the score was 0-6 v 0-5 to Castleconnor.

Ballymote levelled at the start of the half but between the 3rd and 5th minutes of the half Castleconnor scored three goals, two from Kevin Langan, one a spectacular volley from a Skellick knock down and one from Stephen Skellick. A quick point from a free shortly afterwards put us 10 points up and Ballymote never recovered from this. In the end we won on a score of 3-10 v 0-12 to avenge our earlier defeat at home in the league.

Team: M. Fitzsimons, P.Hackett, J.Cawley, J.Tuffy, R.Healy, P.Naughton, D.Fox, P.Kilcullen, K.Tuffy, T.Cawley, P.McGuinness, B.Foody, S.Skellick, K.Langan, M.Langan. Subs: B.Kelly, F.Barrett, D.Kelly, D.Carrabine, S.Howley

Player of the match: Jason Cawley

Div 1A: Castleconnor 1-10 v Buninnadden 1-14, June 20 2007

Castleconnor hosted Bunninadden on Saturday evening last. With both teams locked in a relegation struggle this was a real four-pointer game.

Bunninadden got off to a great start and for once our defence looked shaky this year. At half time there was four points in it due to a great fightback by the home team with the goal coming from Kevin Langan. At one point in the half there was 8 points between the teams.

In contrast to our game versus Tourlestrane two weeks earlier where all our scores came from frees, this weekend all scores came from play. Castleconnor closed it to two points on a number of occassions but never were able to haul in their visitors.

Next weekend we travel to Ballymote.

JFC West Div Champ FINAL: Castleconnor 0-5 v Enniscrone 1-6 June 20 2007

Castleconnor surrendered their West Junior county crown last Friday evening at Easkey. The game had a late throw-in due to a senior league game beforehand and left many wondering how this game was not played in Corballa this year after the same protagonists played in Quigabar last year.

The pitch was in good shape despite the strong wind blowing from the town goal and the constant rain. Castleconnor won the toss and played with the wind and went into an early lead with a Kevin Barrins point. Enniscrone responded with two points in reply. Kevin Barrins pointed a long range free and a fifty to keep the reds ticking but at this stage had lost both their centre and full forwards to hamstring injuries. Morgan Fitzsimons scored a monster point from out on the left wing and another long range point again from Kevin Barrins before the break meant the sides went in level at 5 points a piece.

At the start of the second half Castleconnor started very well with Norman Fox controlling proceedings arount the centre but a number of easy chances were spurned. Enniscrones' youth started to kick in and they seemed to have complete control except on the scoreboard where after 25 minutes of the second half there had been no score. With 2 minutes to go a mistake in the Castleconnor defence let Enniscrone in for the vital score and from the kickout they scored the insurance point.

This was a good performance from Castleconnor who did well to restrict Enniscrone in the second half but on the balance of things Castleconnor did not deserve to win this one.

After the game Joe Queenan presented John Paul Carden with the trophy

Team: Trevor Feeney, Enda Curran, Brendan Howley, Kieran Naughton, Ciaran Clarke, Norman Fox, Brian Foody, Paddy Joe Barrins, Morgan Fitzsimons, Kevin Barrins, Mark Carr, Barnes Kelly, Paul Maughan, Bart Barrins, Frank Barrett. Subs; Brian O'Malley, David Kelly, David Carrabine, Steven Howley

Cumann na mBunscoil FINAL: Stokane are CHAMPIONS for 3rd year running

Stokane National School Boys are the Cumann na mBunscol Sligo Champions for the 2 teacher school 7 aside Competition.

This is the third time in a row that Stokane N.S have won this competition - indeed they were playing in their 4th final in a row. The game was against Kilrusheighter N.S (Templeboy) and was a very one sided affair, with Stokane winning with a score line of 11-11 to 2-4.

Castleconnor GAA Club would like to congratulate all involved with the victory over Kilrusheighter N.S.

Well done to all the players and to their parents and to the teachers of the school, Mr. Vincent McMahon and Mrs. Anna Bourke.

Team and scorers: Jason Mulderrig, Jason Earlis (0-1), Liam Naughton (0-1), Keith Earlis (1-0), Kevin McDonnell (4-1) Captain, Damien Barrett (2-1) and Shane Wright (2-7).

Subs: Keith Foody(2-0). David Mulderrig and Martin Howley, all used

The victorious team with teacher Vincent McMahon

Kevin McDonnell receives the shield

U12: Castleconnor 4-8 v Calry 1-12, June 11 2007

The under 12 team travelled to Calry to play Calry/St.Josephs in the new under 12 format section A (11 aside).

This sees the youngsters play 4 x 10 minute quarters with every player having to play at least 2 quarters and the Go Games rules apply. The team were victorious on a scoreline that read 4-8 to 1-7.

Team & Scorers: Arthur Beardshall, Jason Earlis, Liam Naughton, Keith Foody, Damien Barrett, Kevin McDonnell(1-1), Shane wright(0-3), Stephen Curley(1-4), Matthew Cullen(2.0), Cian Barrins.

Div 1A: Castleconnor 1-6 v Easkey 1-5, June 11 2007

Castleconnor hosted local rivals Easkey in the 8th round of the division 1A league on Saturday evening. When they met earlier in the competition Castleconnor were victorious but since then had not won a game. In a tight first half Easkey got a vital breakthrough with a penalty on half time to lead at the short whistle 1-3 v 0-2. Castleconnor needed a good start to the second half and were awarded a penalty early and scored. The defence really tightened up and cut down the opportunities for the Easkey offence. The sides were level with 10 minutes to go but it took a Kevin Langan free in injury time out near the sideline to win the game for Castleconnor on a score of 1-6 v 1-5. There was fine performances from Karl Tuffy, Rory Healy, Colin Gordon in goals and the Langans. Next weekend we host Bunninadden on Saturday evening.

U14: Castleconnor 2-9 v Buninnadden 3-1, June 10 2007

Bunninaddan travelled to Corballa on Tuesday last to play the under 14s in round 7 of the league. With the teams fine display and win this sees them into a semi final spot in the league. Final Score: Castleconnor 2-9 Bunninaddan 3-1.

Team & Scorers: Brian Feeney, Keith Earlis, Anthony Kilcullen, Liam Naughton, Kevin McDonnell, John McDonnell(0-3), Martin Foody(0-1), Keith Jacob, Matthew Cullen(1-0), Stephen Curley(1-1) Eoin Flynn(0-1).

Subs: Jason Earlis(0-3), Damien Barrett, David Rutdledge, Keith Foody and Arthur Beardshall.

Feilé na nÓg 2007: Castleconnor are going to Feilé

The following is a rough guide of activities for the weekend:

Friday 29th June:

Castleconnor play Kilglass, Co. Roscommon, in Kilglass(Roscommon) at 3pm. That evening there is a parade in Carrick-on-Shannon at 7.30pm-all teams to be there at 3.30pm. all teams are requested to have a banner.

Saturday 30th June:

Castleconnor will be playing Eire Óg of Roscommon and Bornacoola of Leitrim in Dromod, Co. Leitrim. Games will start at 9.30am.

On this day the team will participate in a skills competition. Semi finals are also played on this day.

*If Castleconnor qualify for the final it will be played Saturday evening or Sunday.

*Please note times and venues are subject to change.

Please contact Michael McDonnell or Frank Barrett closer to the time.

We wish the under 14 team and management the best of luck as they represent us in this competition.

Div 1A: Castleconnor 0-7 v Tourlestrane 1-8, May 30, 2007

Tourlestrane came to Corballa top of the league but came with a depleted outfit against a similarly depleted home team. The game had a lot of honest endeavour but the standard was always fairly basic. The home side did not score a point from play for the course of the game. However this was a game that they could have and should have won but the lack of confidence that comes with a losing streak were very evident.

Midway throught the first half the score was 2 points apiece and the half time score was 0-5 v 0-4 in favour of the visitors with 3 points from Kevin Langan and one from Paul Kilcullen. Castleconnor levelled early in the second period but with 15 minutes to go a mislaid pass in midfield by Castleconnor left players out of position and Tourlestrane put the ball to the bottom of the homesides net.

With that moment you could sense the heart left the players and the game petered out towards an inevitable conclusion. Castleconnor have Easkey, the only team we have beaten visitors to Corballa next Saturday evening.

Team and scorers: C.Gordon, B.Howley, J.Cawley, P.McGuinness, P.Hackett, K.Barrett, R.Healy, M.Langan, N.Fox, T.Cawley, P.Kilcullen(0-1), B.Foody, S.Skellick, K.Langan(0-6), N.Judge

Div 1A: Castleconnor1-5 v St.Marys 1-8, May 27 2007

Castleconnor travelled to Kent Park last Saturday evening to meet fellow 1A strugglers St. Marys. With one win in the league all year between the sides, this tie took on added significance.

Castleconnor with a travelling party of 16 made a number of changes to their line-up of previous games with Frankie Kelly moving to the back line and Kevin Langan moving from full-forward to wing forward.

Coming up to half time and playing against the wind there was just 3 points between the sides with St.Marys taking every chance and Castleconnor owning possession but not converting it. A mark Brehony goal on the half time whistle left the score 1-5 v0-2 at the break.

Still Castleconnor were confident that a good start to the second half would make a difference but they never got it and Marys pulled away to win. The defeat leaves Castleconnor and Marys joint bottom of the table and with Ballymote and Bunninadden both collecting points at the weekend it does not look good for either side

Team: M.Fitzsimmons, K.Barrett, J.Cawley, B.Howley, F.Kelly, P.Naughton, R.Healy, M.Langan, K.Tuffy, K.Langan, A.Cawley, P.Hackett, P.Maughan, P.Kilcullen, T.Cawley. Sub F.Barrett

Player of the match: Frankie Kelly

U14 Castleconnor 4-4 v St.Michaels 0-4 May 10 2007

The under 14 team travelled to Ballintogher to take on St.Michaels in the 2nd round of the league on Tuesday last.

At the interval the team were narrowly trailing by a point (1-0 to 0-4).

In the 2nd half the team were the better side and an excellent defence kept the green and whites from scoring.

Final Score: Castleconnor 4-4 St. Michels 0-4

Brian Feeney, Ronan Barrett, Keith Earlis, Liam Naughton, Kevin McDonnell, John McDonnell(1-0), Martin Foody(1-2), Stephen Curley(0-2), Keith Jacob, Anthony Kilcullen(1-0), David Rutledge.

Sub Used: Jason Earlis(1-0).

U16 Rd4: Castleconnor 4-10 v Buninnadden 3-7, May 7 2007

The under 16 team hosted Bunninadden in the 4th round of the league. Although the final score didn’t reflect how the team performed they still came out the better. Conditions were great and so too was the encounter as it was end to end football. at half time Castleconnor led 3-6 to 1-6. The second half saw the two sides exchange scores and Castleconnor ended up winners on a scoreline of 4-10 to 3-7.

Team: Anthony Kilcullen, Kevin Maye, Diarmuid Howley, Orrie Ruane, John McGuinness, David Carrabine, Stephen Kilgannon, Barry Judge, Paul Sweeney, John McDonnell, Brian Curley.

Ladies League: Castleconnor 3-12 v Tourlestrane 0-9, May 5 2007

In the Ladies Senior Football League Round 3 Castleconnor maintained their unbeaten run with this result

Minor: Castleconnor 4-8 v Mullinabreena 2-8, Apr 30 2007

The minor team hosted Coolaney/Mullinabreena in their second game of this seasons league on Wednesday 25th April. The evening was warm and conditions were just right for football.The team played good patches of football and scored when they needed it most to end on a scoreline of 4-8 to 2-8 in our favour.

Team & Scorers: Ryan Foody, Alan Naughton, Kevin Maye, Staphen Kilgannon(0-1), Edward Naughton, Brian Foody, David Carrabine(0-1), Orrie Ruane, David Kelly(2-0), Niall Judge(0-4), Brian Curley(1-2).Sub Used: John McGuinness.

U16: Castleconnor 4-10 v Mullinabreena 3-2 Apr 27 2007

The Under team travelled to Colooney to play Owenmore Gaels in the 3rd round of the league on Friday last. The playing conditions couldn’t have been better. The first half was nip and tuck with scores at half time reading 1-3 to 1-2 in our favour. We found ourselves in arrears into the 2nd half when Owenmore Gaels got 2 goals. Castleconnor then found their range finding the net twice and kicking over the points. Another goal at the end of the game ensured a win on a well deserved score line of 4-10 to 3-02.

Team: Ryan Foody, John McGuinness, Kevin Maye, Orrie Ruane, Martin Foody, David Carrabine, Brian Curley, Diarmuid Howley, Barry Judge, John McDonnell, Shane Feeney. Subs Used: Ronan Barrett.

U14: Castleconnor 5-5 v Easkey 2-3, Apr 25 2007

The under 14 team started their league campaign on Tuesday last on 24th April with a home fixture -v- Easkey.

Team & Scorers: Brian Feeney, Keith Earlis, Anthony Kilcullen, Kevin McDonnell(2-0), Liam Naughton, John McDonnell(0-2), Martin Foody(1-1), Matthew Cullen, Shane Wright(1-1), Stephen Curley(1-1), Ronan Barrett.

Div 1A: Castleconnor 0-7 v Curry 2-9, Apr 25 2007

Curry were the visitors to Corballa on Sunday. In a game where both sides were minus a number of regulars Curry started quickly and were 3 points up after 15 minutes. Castleconnor came back to within a point but 3 late scores by the visitors left Curry leading at halftime on a score of 0-8 v 0-4. That lead was 5 points a minute into the second half but Castleconnor began to get a grip and scored a few points to get back to 3 when Frankie Kelly was taken out of the game concussed after a long injury delay Curry won a very soft and dubious penalty. Castleconnor scored again but in the last minute a bad mistake by the keeper let Curry in for a final score of 2-9 v 0-7. Next week we travel to Keash to take on Eastern Harps.

Team: B.Barrins, K.Barrett, J.Tuffy, P.Hackett, D.Fox, J.Cawley, B.Howley, M.Langan, P.Kilcullen, A.Cawley, F.Kelly, N.Fox, S.Skellick, K.Langan, B.Foody. Subs: M.Carr, F.Barrett, P.Maughan

Player of the Match: David Fox

Div 1A: Castleconnor 0-8 v Ballymote 1-17

Well the less said about this game the better. The crazy thing is we started off well and looked ok after twenty minutes when we lead by 0-5 v 0-2. However the signs were there as we were not taking our chances and trying to walk the ball into the goal. Ballynote scored a fortuante goal and from the resulting kickout popped over another point. Things went from bad to worse when Kevin Langan had to go off injured and at half time it was Ballymote who lead after playing against the wind on a score 1-5 v 0-5.

The second half was a not good to watch from our point of view with points being scored at ease and a lot of players looking disinterested. This was not helped by both Michael Langan and Karl Tuffy both going off with longterm injuries.

Team M.Fitzsimmons, P.McGuinness, J.Tuffy, B.Howley, D.Fox, P.Naughton, P.Hackett, P.Klcullen(0-1), N.Fox(0-1), F.Kelly(0-1), M.Langan(0-1), A.Cawley, K.Barrett(0-2), K.Langan(0-1), S.Skellick(0-1). Subs: K.Tuffy, M.Carr, B.Foody, F.Barrett,

Div 1A: Castleconnor 0-6 v Buninnadden 0-14 Apr 16 2007

After last weeks first round victory over Easkey in Easkey the club travelled to South Sligo to take on Buninnadden. With a very depleted lineup, (not even one substitute was available) due to a number of reasons the team put in a good effort but midway through the second half the game was over as a contest. In the end we missed a penalty but there was enough to suggest that the team is working hard and in fact created a lot of goal scoring chances but availed of none.

Team: B.Barrins, B.Howley, K.Barrett, P.Hackett, D.Fox, P.Naughton, E.Curran, P.Kilcullen(0-1), N.Fox, A.Cawley(0-2), M.Langan(0-1), F.Barrett, T.Cawley(0-1), S.Skellick(0-1), P.Maughan

Man of the Match: Enda Curran

Div 1A: Castleconnor 2-12 v Easkey 0-10 Apr 10 2007

This game played in Easkey on Good Friday last was played in perfect conditions. The last time that we had beaten Easkey in senior league football was in 1991 at the same location.

Castleconnor after the early minutes of the game dominated in most areas of the field but particularly in the middle third.

Stephen Skellick scored the 2 goals but Karl Tuffy who was a lat substitute in the second period did damage his hamstring and will be out for a number of weeks. This was one of Castleconnors best performances for a long time and hopefully the team can keep this progress up.

Man of the match: Kevin Langan

Ladies: Report from first 2 league games

The ladies team hosted Coolera/Strandhill in the Sligo Ladies Senior league round 1 last weekend and had a convincing win. Castleconnor 7-12 Coolera 2-6.

On Sunday 1st April Eastern Harps travelled to Corballa to play the ladies in Round 2 of the Senior league. It was a tight encounter until the second half when Castleconnor pulled away. At half time Castleconnor were in arrears by a point.(1-3 to 0-7).

Castleconnor started the second half brightly scoring a well earned goal and ran out well deserved winners on a score-line of 6-11 to 0-9. Team: Michelle Taylor, Yvonne Flynn, Laura Jacob, Ciara Mullaney, Christine Cawley, Lorraine Tuffy, Louise Carrabine, Leanne Mullaney, Michelle Tuffy, Siobhan McGuinness(0-1), Louise Lindsay(3-3), Niamh Jacob(0-1), Emma Kirby(2-1), Noreen Rolston(0-1), Nicola Carrabine(0-1).

Subs Used: Una Clarke, Alana Carr(1-3), Colley Casey, Lorraine Carrabine and Deirdre Foody.

Pick n Choose Rd 3: Castleconnor 1-8 v St.Marys 1-7, Apr 2, 2007

Castleconnor travelled to Kent park on Saturday evening to take on St. Marys in the 3rd round of the Pick n’ Choose league. It was a tight encounter with a perfect evening for football. Both teams had some very good build up play but their play in the final third of the field left a lot to be desired. At the half-time whistle we trailed by 0-4 v 0-2 .

The start of the second half saw both sides trade points but with 10 minutes to go Castleconnor had equalised through Tom Cawley who probably had his best game ever in a Castleconnor jersey and we took the lead through a Paul Kilcullen free. A long ball in from out the field ended up in the Mary’s net as the keeper mis-judged it. This put us 4 points up going into injury time. At this time we missed a penalty and from the resulting kickout the home team drove upfield to score a goal but despite another 2 minutes play we held out for a well deserved win on a scoreline of 1-8 v 1-7. Team M.Fitzsimmons, P.McGuiness, J.Tuffy, B.Howley, D.Fox, P.Naughton, K.Barrett, P.Kilcullen (0-1), N.Fox, A.Cawley(0-1), R.Healy(0-1), B.Foody(0-1), T.Cawley(1-1), K.Langan(0-2), M.Langan(0-1). Subs: P.Maughan, F.Barrett, M.Carr

Man of the match : Tom Cawley

Pick n Choose Rd 2: Castleconnor 1-13 v Ballymote 1-8, Mar 26 2007

Castleconnor hosted Ballymote in the re-arranged Pick n’Choose second round game. The original game was abandoned 3 weeks ago due to strong winds. This game was a tight affair until the last 10 minutes when we pulled away. The over-reliance on Dermot McTiernan by the visitors was clear for all to see as he accounted for all of the visitors scores. The home defence were punished for every offence as he hit seven points from frees.

The first half was nip and tuck with the sides going score for score until the last minutes when Tom Cawley was fouled in the square and Kevin Langan coolly dispatched the resultant spot-kick to leave the scores at half-time of Castleconnor 1-4 v 0-3.

The third quarter saw Ballymote come more into the game and they had the lead diminished to 1 point on three occasions but Castleconnor found their range in the last 10 minutes to win on a scoreline of 1-13 v 0-8

Team: M.Fitzsimons, B.Howley, J.Tuffy, P.McGuinness, D.Fox, P.Naughton, K.Barrett(0-1), P.Kilcullen(0-1) N.Fox, A.Cawley (0-1), F.Kelly, T.Cawley, S.Skellick, K.Langan(1-8), R.Healy(0-1). Subs P.Maughan(0-1), M.Carr

Pick n Choose starts with a whimper Castleconnor 2-5 v Curry 2-11 1-3-2007,

Curry were visitors on Saturday evening to Corballa for the first game of the year. The standard of football on display was a testament to this. We started well and lead by 1-2 v 0-2 after 15 minutes with the goal from a penalty by Kevin Langan. Curry powered ahead after this and were never fronted with the half time score to the visitors of 1-8 v 1-2

Curry started the second half as they finished the first and stormed to a 2-10 v 1-3 lead with 15minutes to go. Kieran Naughton pounced on a mixup in the Curry defence and a few late points put a more respectable look on the scorelein

Team: Morgan Fitzsimmons, Patrick McGuinness, John Tuffy, Brendan Howley, Frank Barrett, Kieran Barrett, Rory Healy, Paul Kilcullen, Norman Fox, Alan Cawley, Kevin Langan, Tom Cawley, Paul Maughan, Stephen Skellick, Brian Foody

Subs Mark Carr, Kieran Naughton, Raymond Forde